“How much will it cost to repair my roof?” or “How much do roof repairs cost?” are common questions we at Powell’s Roofing hear from homeowners. But the answer actually depends on a number of different factors, and there is a difference between a quality roof repair that will resolve the issue for years to come and one that just kicks the can a little further down the road.
Generally, the answer to how much roof repair costs is about $920 on average, with most homeowners spending between $362 and $1,505, according to Homeadvisor.com. Most common minor roof repairs cost between $150 and $400, while labor can be between $45 to $75 per hour.
But the devil is always in the details. So we’ll take a little bit of a deep dive and look at some of the factors that may help you get a more accurate roof repair cost estimate for your situation.
Roofs come in many styles and are made of different materials that drive a roof repair cost. Whether it’s asphalt shingles or slate, the average cost to repair some common roof types is as follows:
- Wood shake ($750)
- Composite roofing ($450)
- Asphalt shingles ($710)
- Metal ($1,300)
- Flat, foam, or single-ply roofing ($400)
- Slate ($1,350)
- Tile ($1,000)
How much does it cost to repair a roof leak?
Aside from your home’s roof itself, a few other roofing areas are prone to leaking that may require repair with new materials. Here are some averages:
- Flashing, or the metal connecting vents and other ducts to your roof, may corrode or crack, causing leaks. Avg. material cost: $10 to $20.
- Roof trusses are critical support structures for your roof where leaks can begin to run along. Avg. material cost: $1.50 to $4.50 per square foot.
- Chimneys can be the source of leaking when old caulking and flashing around them goes. Avg. material cost: Chimney flashing ($20), flashing sealant, and masonry caulk ($5).
- Skylights can be a source of water entry when the flashing around them goes or if the window portion of the skylight becomes cracked. Avg. material cost: Replacing corroded skylight flashing ($25 to $80), patching using clear silicone sealant ($5).
As always, when trying to gauge roof repair costs for your home, it helps to have a professional roofing contractor with you who can safely and accurately assess your roof. Having a team of trusted roofers on your side will allow you to quickly identify the source of your roof leaks and other issues, as well as give you a detailed breakdown of all repair costs.
For more information on roof repair costs in NJ, or to get a detailed roof repair cost estimate for your home, contact Powell’s Roofing & Siding today.